Effective therapeutic strategies include the following:
- DIET - increased healthy fats and oils, increased (but not excess) protein, NO simple refined carbohydrates and sugars, complex whole grains and cereals, and smaller amounts at meals.
- EXERCISE - resistance strength training and aerobic exercise is essential.
- WEIGHT LOSS - many diagnosed with diabetes II are over weight....start a serious, gradual, healthy weight loss program. Aim at losing 4 pounds each month until you reach your ideal BMI (body mass index).
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS: many nutrients support metabolism....the most effective for metabolic disease are lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, vitamin E, vitamin C, chromium, and Omega-3 fish oils.
- HERBAL MEDICINE: many herbs help lower glucose and support metabolism including ginseng, dandelion root, Gymnema sylvestre, and bitter melon. Traditional Chinese herbal formulas, combinations of synergistic herbs, are very helpful.
Be strong and healthy!